ETA: This giveaway is now closed. LSUReader won the gift basket, and Sherry, Meghan, Angela, Carolsue and Christina won the ebooks. Congratulations!
My new anthology Gambled Away is out today! To celebrate, I’m giving away 5 e-books and a lovely gift basket of items (basket not included)!
Pictured: Spokemodel T-Rex (not included) with select gift basket items.
Gambled Away is an anthology themed around one protagonist winning the other in a game of chance (my favorite trope!), with stories from Jeannie Lin, Molly O’Keefe, Isabel Cooper, Joanna Bourne, and of course, yours truly.
Get revenge. Pay a debt. Save a soul. Lose your heart.
Spanning centuries and continents, five brand-new novellas from beloved historical romance authors tell the stories of men and women who find themselves wagered in a game of chance and are forced to play for the highest stakes of all: love.
“Gideon and the Den of Thieves” by Joanna Bourne
London, 1793 – Soldier of fortune Gideon Gage has come home from halfway around the world, fully prepared to face down a ruthless gang to save his sister. But there’s one member of the gang he could never have been prepared for: fascinating Aimée, driven from her own home by the French Revolution and desperately in need of his help.
“Raising The Stakes” by Isabel Cooper
California, 1938 — When the flute she won in last night’s poker game unexpectedly summons an elven warrior bound to her service, two-bit con artist Sam takes quick advantage. With Talathan’s fairy powers at her command, her shakedown of a crooked preacher is a sure thing…but would she rather take a gamble on love?
“All or Nothing” by Rose Lerner
England, 1819 – Architect Simon Radcliffe-Gould needs someone to pose as his mistress so he can actually get some work done at a scandalous house party. Irrepressible gambling den hostess Maggie da Silva would rather be his mistress, but she’ll take what she can get…
“The Liar’s Dice” by Jeannie Lin
Tang Dynasty China, 849 A.D. — Lady Bai’s first taste of freedom brings her face to face with murder. A dangerous and enigmatic stranger becomes her closest ally as she investigates the crime, but can she trust her heart or her instincts when everyone is playing a game of liar’s dice?
“Redeemed” by Molly O’Keefe
Denver, 1868 — After agonizing years in the Civil War’s surgical tents, Union doctor James Madison has nothing left to lose. But when beautiful, tortured Helen Winters is the prize in a high-stakes game of poker, he goes all in to save her—and maybe his own soul.
The gift basket includes:
1. A fish gambling token just like the ones Maggie and Meyer use at Number Eighteen (except those are ivory, and this is bone). A Regency poker chip, basically. I honestly cannot even believe I found this on Etsy, y’all. It really looks JUST like my reference images, and the person I bought it from didn’t know how old it was but thought it was pretty old, so it could even be from the Regency!
2. Tuberose-scented soap, because Maggie wears tuberose perfume!
3. A delightfully 70s copy of Georgette Heyer’s Pistols for Two, featuring the short story “Hazard,” which was my first exposure to this most delightful of tropes and it was definitely love at first sight. The heroine’s brother puts her up in a game of hazard, the hero wins her but oops, he is already engaged, but he is so drunk he doesn’t even care and he and the heroine start off to Gretna Green, but then in the morning he’s like, “Um, I can’t actually because I’m engaged” and she’s like “Yeah, I know, I was just mad at my brother,” and then he says
“I am afraid I thought only of what I wanted, and not of what I could have”
and I swoon and obviously everything works out and this story is GREAT.
4. A silver dollar like the one on our cover!
5. Cinnamon-orange tea-infused jelly from MarketSpice at Pike Place Market, because Maggie likes to put marmalade in her tea.
6. A signed paperback of my con artist story, True Pretenses.
7. A Gambled Away e-book.
8. A Gambled Away deck of playing cards! (Not pictured because I need to order cards for myself, but I have it on good authority from people who were at RT that they are awesome. 🙂
9. Assorted swag like postcards, bookmarks, etc. including one of my coveted “Spoiler, the butler did her!” pin buttons.
1. Comment on this post to enter.
2. The winners will be chosen at random using random.org.
3. The 5 e-books are open internationally. The gift basket is US and Canada only.
4. Open for entries through June 30.
5. Void where prohibited.
If you’d like to be alerted when new contests go up (I typically give away romances signed by the author), you can sign up for my newsletter.
Remember, you can buy Gambled Away here!